Welcome to my ULV Faculty Web Site. It is currently under revision and update. I hope you find the changes interesting and helpful. Please return from time to time to follow the course of its evolution.
My Current Status:
- Emeritus Professor of Zoology & Environmental Science since retiring from full-time teaching in 2005.
- Occasional part-time teaching at college level and volunteering in outdoor education.
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin at Madison
- M.S., Oregon State University
- B.S., Oregon State University
- Assessment & management of aquatic ecosystems in local watersheds
- Place-based environmental education
- Collaboratively examining the interplay between science and other disciplines
- Exploring inner landscapes through meditation and self-reflection
- Plankton photomicrography
- Creative writing—Autobiographical and reflective essays
by this stream,
all my years
of studying and teaching biology
have been preparing me
to place a small black water beetle
in the upturned palm
of a young blind boy.
Dan Merritt May 2012
Creative writing-- Autobiographical and reflective essays
- Some examples of Dan Merritt's non-scientific writings